A DEVELOPING BRAIN NEEDS ADULT TO HELP SUPPORT LEVELS OF STIMULATION

Monday, December 20, 2010


 
Holiday Shopping From a Child’s Point of View
My brain doesn’t like to be bored and it also doesn’t like to be over stimulated. I need interesting things to keep me entertained, but if I get too much stimulation I will need you to help me to relax. My brain is not good at this on my own yet.
               (3 -6 year olds)
  • Have me help you find the items you need by giving me simple directions. For example: Ask me to get the red box or pick the smallest size can, or the item on the bottom shelf.
               (1 – 4 year olds)
  •   While waiting in line, name an item for me to find and point to. Or point to a picture on magazine and have me name it.
                              
               (3 – 5 year olds)
  • As we turn down a new isle name a color. Have me point out items of that color as we  go through the row. Or to add variety, name a shape to look for.

My brain also likes physical activity and using all of my senses. Exploring is how my brain learns. So, I will like touching and trying out things I see.  If you guide me to or provide things that are safe to touch this will be best.  Much of this is all new to me, and  I do not realize what might happen if I touch, push, or pull on something without your guidance.

                (0-3 year olds)
  •  While we shop give items to try out. Let me feel different textures or hear the sounds items make.  Since my brain learns through repetition I may want to do it again and again. Use descriptive words for the textures and sounds I am experiencing too. My brain likes to hear lots of language from you about objects in my world.
                 (3 – 6 year olds)
  • Have me close my eyes and listen to all the sounds. Have me tell you all that I hear.
  • Have me help you put items on the counter as you get ready to checkout. We could count together as we do this.
            
I really like it when you give me positive attention. When we are having fun together I will feel good.  My brain will then not react in negative ways to get you to pay attention to me.
 
                 (2 – 6 year olds)
  • Let me tell you about all that I see and am interested in as we shop. I get excited about all of the new things I am learning and want to share it with you!
                 (All ages)
  • Sing holiday songs with me while we wait in line.  

Comments

No response to “A DEVELOPING BRAIN NEEDS ADULT TO HELP SUPPORT LEVELS OF STIMULATION”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails